Hokkaido Rail Pass - Japan Rail PassHokkaido Rail PassAs the second largest island in Japan, Hokkaido has a vast rail network to get you to the main destinations such as Sapporo, Hakodate, Otaru and Asahiyama, to name just a few. You will be able to travel aboard all JR Hokkaido trains (excluding the Hokkaido Shinkansen) giving you the flexibility to use this pass to its full potential, while benefiting from its great value.Hokkaido Rail Pass Where Can The Pass Be Used:A Hokkaido Rail Pass can be used on all JR Hokkaido trains (excluding the Hokkaido Shinkansen). This includes reserved and non-reserved seats in ordinary class on JR Hokkaido limited express trains, express trains, local trains and special (limited express/express/local) trains.Hokkaido Rail Pass Eligibility:A Hokkaido Rail Pass Can Be Purchased And Used By:People visiting Japan from abroad, under the entry status of "temporary visitor."Hokkaido Rail Pass Pre-Booking Time:3 months.Hokkaido Rail Pass Discounts:
- Children between the ages of 6 and 11 pay a reduced rate. Children under 6 travel free.
Hokkaido Rail Pass Types & Validities:
- 3, 5 or 7 consecutive days or 4 flexible days within 10 days
- Ordinary class
- Adult or Child
Hokkaido Rail Pass Details:
After purchase you will receive an exchange voucher (on official paper that is shipped to you) which you must exchange for the Hokkaido Rail Pass within 3 months of purchase.
Exchanges can be made at the following JR stations in Hokkaido Japan, upon presentation of your passport with the “Temporary Visitor” entry status stamp:
Sapporo Station/ JR Information Desk* 8:30-19:00
New Chitose Airport Station/ JR Information Desk* 8:30-19:00
Hakodate Station 10:00-18:00
Noboribetsu Station 7:00-18:45
Asahikawa Station 9:30-17:30
Obihiro Station 9:00-17:00
Kushiro Station 10:00-18:00
Abashiri Station 5:50-22:30
Shin-Hakodate-Hokuto Station 9:00-20:00
Hokkaido Rail Pass Additional Details:
- *The JR Information Desks are for foreign visitors so the staff can assist you in English, Chinese or Korean.
- For the 3, 5 or 7 day consecutive pass, at the time of exchange, you can specify the date that you want to start using the pass. It can be any date within 1 month from the exchange date.
- For the 4 day flexible pass you cannot choose the start date; the date of exchange will be the start date of the 10 day period, within which you can choose any 4 days to travel.
- Once the Pass has a starting date written on it, the date cannot be changed.
- Pass holders can also board selected JR Hokkaido buses in Sapporo.
- The Hokkaido Rail Pass cannot be used on the Hokkaido Shinkansen Hayabusa, Hayate trains or train lines of other railway companies such as South Hokkaido Railway or Sapporo Municipal Subway.
- To board in Reserved Seating, bring your Hokkaido Rail Pass to Twinkle Plaza (JR Travel Service Center) or Midori-no-Madoguchi (ticket counter) to receive a reserved seat ticket.
- To board a train show your Hokkaido Rail Pass and Reserved Seating ticket to the staff at the ticket gate.
- If you are traveling in the Non-reserved Seating area you only need to show your pass.