Dar es Salaam Journey 15 days 1st Class with Rovos RailCAPE TOWN - DAR ES SALAAM JOURNEYDAR ES SALAAM JOURNEYRovos Rail's annual trans-African safari carries an exclusive band of intrepid travellers on a world-famous journey.Rovos Rail Departing Dates
Rovos Rail PricesSingle Supplement +50%Cape Town - Dar es Salaam JourneyThis epic 15-day train journey travels through South Africa, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Zambia and Tanzania and is one of the most famous in the world. The sojourn begins in Cape Town taking guests to the historic village of Matjiesfontein.Continue on to the diamond town of Kimberley and the capital city of Pretoria for short tours followed by two nights in the Madikwe Game Reserve. The fifth largest reserve in South Africa. Continue through Botswana into Zimbabwe where guests overnight at the Victoria Falls Hotel.After crossing the mighty Zambezi River, travel northeast through Zambia, the train joins the Tazara Railway line at Kapiri Mposhi and continues to Chisimba Falls where guests enjoy a bush walk. The train climbs to the Zambian/Tanzanian border then descends into the Great Rift Valley negotiating the tunnels, switchbacks and viaducts of the spectacular escarpment.Climbing again, it traverses the Selous Game Reserve - the largest on the continent and a vision of timeless Africa - before the bustling arrival in Dar es Salaam the following day.CAPE TOWN | MATJIESFONTEIN | KIMBERLEY | PRETORIA | MADIKWE | VICTORIA FALLS | CHISIMBA FALLS | SELOUS | DAR ES SALAAMHighlights of the Cape Town - Dar es Salaam Luxury Tour:
- 1 SEPTEMBER 2023 - 30 OCTOBER 2023
- 1 SEPTEMBER 2024 - 30 OCTOBER 2024
CAPE TOWN - DAR ES SALAAMDAY 1
- Cape Town
- Klein and Great Karoo
- Kimberley Big Hole and Diamond Mine Museum
- Pretoria - Jacaranda City
- Game lodge in Madikwe Game Reserve
- Botswana, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Tanzania
- Victoria Falls
- Zambezi River sunset cruise
- Chisimba Falls in Zambia
- Great Rift Valley
- Selous Game Reserve
- Dar es Salaam
- 11h00 Depart from Platform 23 at Cape Town Station.
- 18h00 Explore the quaint village of Matjiesfontein. Dinner and overnight on board.
- 14h00 Tour of Kimberley's Big Hole and Diamond Mine Museum. The train traverses the Karoo.
- 10h00 Enjoy a Rovos Rail Station tour, platform lunch and city tour of Pretoria.
- 18h00 Depart for Zeerust and the Madikwe Game Reserve.
- 11h00 Arrive Zeerust for a full-board two-night stay at the five-star Tau Lodge.
- Enjoy lunch and an afternoon game drive followed by dinner and overnight.
- Early morning game drive, afternoon game drive and guest activities. Overnight at lodge.
- Early morning game drive. Transfer to Gaborone, Botswana. Border formalities en route.
- 13h00 The train travels north across the Tropic of Capricorn to the Zimbabwean border.
- Traverse Zimbabwe along the eastern edge of Hwange National Park.
- Day at leisure with topical lectures by the on-board historian.
- 12h00 Arrive Victoria Falls and transfer to the Victoria Falls Hotel. Enjoy lunch.
- 16h00 Sunset cruise on the Zambezi River followed by dinner and overnight.
- Day at leisure. A wide variety of recreational activities are available.
- 16h00 Depart for Zambia. Cross the bridge.
- Travel to Kapiri Mposhi via the Kafue Bridge. Day at leisure.
- Day at leisure traversing Zambia with lectures by the historian.
- 08h00 Enjoy a visit to Chisimba Falls.
- The train climbs the escarpment towards the Tanzanian border.
- 09h00 Stroll in Makambako (time permitting).
- Descend the spectacular pass into the Rift Valley along the Udzungwa Mountains.
- Game visit in the Selous Game Reserve (time permitting).
Available in Reverse: Departing Dar 12h00, arriving in Cape Town 18h00. Pre- and post-tours available.Please note that depending upon the railway's capacity this journey could be routed northwards through Beitbridge and Zimbabwe.
- 10h00 Arrive at Tazara Station in Dar.