HM Forces RailcardHM Forces Railcard
What is the HM Forces Railcard?
The HM Forces Railcard costs £19 and it'll save you 1/3 on most rail fares throughout Great Britain for a whole year. That works out to under £2 a month for huge savings. You're eligible if you're a member of the Regular Forces or Volunteer Reserves or a spouse/civil partner of a member, for more details see eligibility.
There are plenty of ways you can use your Railcard, for both long and short trips. Better still you can use it anytime on weekends, Public Holidays and during the week. The only restriction is that if you travel before 10am Monday to Friday (except during July and August) a minimum fare will apply. For more details see minimum fares.
Your HM Forces Railcard will save you 1/3 on many tickets. As with most things in life, there are some exceptions, so take a look at the ticket types you can and can't make savings on with your HM Forces Railcard.
Please note that the railcard can only be used for non-duty (leisure) travel only. Commuting between home and place of duty, work or education is not available.
HM Forces Railcard where can I buy one?
To apply for your Railcard please see your Unit HR admin staff. The cost of the Railcard is deducted from your pay.
HM Forces Railcards can be obtained by war widows/widowers and their dependants, through the Royal British Legion. Applicants will need to be in receipt of a Forces Family pension.
HM Forces Railcards cannot be purchased at National Rail stations or online.
HM Forces Railcard Eligibility
The following are eligible to be issued with the HM Forces Railcard:
1. All members of the Regular Forces wherever they are stationed.
2. All members of the Volunteer Reserve.
3. Non-Regular Permanent Staff.
4. Members of the Regular Reserve during periods of full time service of at least 3 months.
5. Commissioned Officers of the RAF Reserve carrying out full time duties in uniform in peacetime.
6. NATO personnel serving in official NATO UK appointments under the direct command of the MoD (or NATO HQ).
7. Members of other Government Defence Forces serving in official exchange appointments.
8. Spouses/civil partners of those above.
9. Dependant children of those above. Please see our Terms and Conditions for full details.
10. Widows/Widowers and their dependant children may retain the use of purchased HM Forces Railcards for the remainder of the valid period until the existing expiry date of the card. Thereafter, HM Forces Railcards can be obtained by war widows/widowers and their dependants, through the Royal British Legion. Please see our Terms and Conditions for full details.
HM Forces Railcard Further Terms and Conditions
The following are eligible to be issued with the HM Forces Railcard -
1. All members of the Regular Forces including members of the Military Provost Guard Staff;
2. All members of the Volunteer Reserve, which comprise of:
(a) The Royal Naval Reserve,
(b) The Royal Marines Reserve,
(c) The Army Reserve,
(d) The Royal Auxiliary Air Force,
and includes personnel serving on Full Time Reserve Service (FTRS) and Additional Duties Commitment (ADC) commitments;
3. Non-Regular Permanent Staff;
4. Members of the Regular Reserve who are called out for a period of at least 3 months duration on broadly similar terms and conditions of service as the Regular Forces;
5. Commissioned officers of the RAF Reserve carrying out full-time duties in uniform in peacetime;
6. Retired officers of the rank of Admiral, General and Air Chief Marshall who remain on the Active List for life;
7. NATO personnel serving in official NATO UK appointments or in NATO posts based within the UK;
8. Members of other Government Defence Forces serving in official exchange appointments;
9. Spouses/Civil Partners of personnel noted above;
10. Dependent children of those noted above, subject to meeting the following criteria:
(a) Unmarried children (including legitimate, adopted and step-children) over the age of 16 years and under the age of 18 years who are normally resident in the household;
(b) A son or daughter of 18 years and over, certified by a medical authority to be suffering from a physical or mental infirmity, who is normally resident in the household;
(c) A son or daughter of 18 years and over who for compassionate reasons is acting as the housekeeper within the household;
(d) A son or daughter over the age of 18 but under the age of 25 who is normally resident in the household and in full time education;
11. War Widow(er)s, surviving civil partners and dependent children of a deceased service person may retain the use of purchased Railcards for the remaining period of validity until the expiry date of the card.
Thereafter, Railcards can be obtained by War Widow(er)s and their qualifying dependants, through the Royal British Legion. Individuals will lose entitlement to this concession on remarriage (i.e. a formally recorded marriage or the registration of a civil partnership).
Applicants must however meet the eligibility criteria outlined below:
(a) War Widow(er)s, and dependent children aged 16 and over in receipt of a Forces Family Pension from either the Armed Forces Pension Scheme 1975 or 2005 AND a War Widow(er)’s or Child’s War Pension.
(b) War Widow(er)s, Recognised Partners and dependent children aged 16 and over in receipt of the Guaranteed Income Payment (GIP) from the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme 2005.
HM Forces Railcard Minimum fares / Time restrictions
For journeys made between 04:30 and 09:59 Monday to Friday, a minimum fare of £12 applies (except in July or August, or on public holidays). This applies to all Anytime, Off-Peak and Super Off-Peak tickets.
There are no minimum fares for all Advance tickets.
Off-Peak Day Travelcard
A minimum fare applies on adult Off-Peak Day Travelcards at all times (including July and August). The minimum fare is £8.00.
The minimum fare also applies to a discounted Zones 1-6 'Inboundary' Off-Peak Day Travelcard.
Note - Railcard discounts are not available on any other zonal combinations of Day Travelcards.
Anytime Day Travelcard
Railcard discounts are available on Anytime Day Travelcards from stations outside the London Fare Zones 1-9 area. These are subject to the normal rules applicable to the Railcard, but in addition an adult minimum fare also applies at all times (including July and August). The minimum fare is currently £17.20.
No discounts are available on Anytime Day Travelcards issued for journeys wholly within Zones 1-9.
Members of HM Forces or a spouse/civil partner of a member may take up to 4 children aged between 5 and 15 years (incl) on the date of travel, for a discount of 81% off the adult fare when travelling in First or Standard class accommodation, subject to a £1 minimum fare.
This concession does not apply if the railcard holder is a dependant of a member of HM Forces.
For full details of minimum fares, please ask at your local staff station or National Rail licensed Travel Agents.
Conditions of issue and use of the HM Forces Railcard
ATOC Ltd enters into the contract for the issue and use of the HM Forces Railcard on behalf of the Train Companies. Reference to a 'Train Company' or the 'Train Companies' means those Train Companies which, pursuant to a franchise agreement, operate Passenger Railway Services in Great Britain. Any other licensed passenger train operators that may join the arrangement will accept the HM Forces Railcard for travel on their services.
1. You must sign your Railcard before use to show acceptance of all the Conditions listed here.
2. The Railcard and tickets bought with it are not transferable and must not be given to or loaned to anyone else.
3. The Railcard does not become your property and if requested must be handed in to a representative of any Train Company.
4. You must carry your Railcard with you and when asked by rail staff, you must show a valid ticket and valid Railcard, otherwise the full fare will be payable as if no Railcard and/or no ticket were held.
5. The Railcard will not be valid if it is damaged. If a railcard is lost or stolen the railcard holder should report this to their unit administrative staff. A replacement railcard can then be issued at the full price £19 to the railcard holder. The new replacement railcard will carry a validity period of 12 months. The new railcard to be issued in conjunction with the existing photocard. A replacement Railcard cannot be issued at a National Rail station.
6. The Railcard is issued subject to the National Rail Conditions of Carriage and the Conditions listed here.
7. The Railcard can only be used for non-duty (leisure) travel only. Commuting between home and place of duty, work or education is not available.
Conditions of issue and use of reduced priced tickets ('discounted tickets') bought with the HM Forces Railcard
1. Tickets for your journey should be purchased before boarding the train. You must have your Railcard (and Photocard/Permit to travel without Photocard if applicable) with you on your journey and always show the valid Railcard and ticket to rail staff at their request. If you do not show both the Railcard and the ticket, you will be required to pay the full price Standard Single fare for your journey as if no ticket was purchased before starting the journey. In some cases a penalty fare may be payable. This does not apply if there was no ticket office at the station at which you began your journey or if the ticket office was closed and there was no ticket machine from which you could buy a discounted ticket.
2. Minimum fares and time restrictions apply as detailed here.
3. In the case of some low price tickets the actual discount with a Railcard may be slightly lower than that advertised.
4. The right is reserved to revise these Conditions and availability of the tickets mentioned here. The Train Companies will endeavour to give three months' notice of any changes before they are due to come into effect.
5. Tickets issued to the holder of the Railcard are issued subject to the National Rail Conditions of Carriage and the Conditions listed here. Copies of the National Rail Conditions of Carriage are available from any staffed station ticket office or online at www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/nrcc/
Quick Guide to UK Country Guides & UK Tourism Attractions
Country Guides - Days Out - Tourism Attractions - Theme Parks - Family Days Out - Tourism Guides
Quick Guide to UK Places to Visit & UK Cultural Tourism
Theatres - Museums - Art Galleries - Cathederals - Synagogues - Mosques - Temples
Festivals - Concerts - Gigs - Sport Stadiums - Sport Events - Airports
Zoological Gardens - Aquariums - Racing Tracks - Racing Circuits - Athletics Tracks
Quick Guide to UK Rail Guides & UK Rail Tourism
Rail Tickets - Railway Maps - Railway Tourism Advice - Rail Passes - Rail Tours - Eurostar
Eurail - Interrail - Train Stations - Metro Stations - Underground Stations
Railway Modelling - Railway News
Train Tickets - Rail Tours - Luxury Rail Tours - Europe Rail Pass - Steam Trains - Rail Journeys
HS2 - Mountain Trains - Heritage Trains - Cog Trains - High Speed Rail - Escorted Rail Tours
Cable Cars - Funicular - Gondola Lifts - Tramways - Ski Lifts - Ski Pass
Railway Companies of the World - Heritage Railways - Steam Trains - Luxury Rail Journeys
Airport Shuttles - Night Trains - Sleeper Rail Cars - High Speed Trains - TGV - Eurostar
Cog Railways - Swiss Mountain Railways - Train Journeys - Express Trains
Quick Guide to World Train Companies
Amtrak - Orient Express - Rovos Rail - Rocky Mountaineer - Glacier Express
Jungfrau Express - Gotthard Panorama Express - Jungfrau Travel Pass- Express Trains
Eurostar - British Pullman - Bernina Express - Shongololo Express - Blue Train - Danube Express
Trans Siberian Express - GoldenPass Panoramic - Golden Eagle Train - Andean Explorer
Swiss Travel Pass - Jacobite - El Transcantabrico - Tren Al Andus - Hiram Bingham
UK Business Centre - Exhibitions
Business Centre - Trade Exhibitions - Trade Shows - Trade Fairs - Trade Events
Trade Exhibition Staff - Trade Exhibition Stands - Trade Show Help
UK Business Centre - Procurements
Business Incorporation - Procurements - Business Leads - Foreign Exchange
Business Insurance - Shares - Commodities - Futures - Property Sales - Money Transfer
Asset Finance - Asset Leasing - Crowd Funding - Currency Transfer
UK Business Centre - Freight
Rail Freight - Rail Cargo - Multimodal Freight - Road Freight - Air Freight - Sea Freight
Freight - Cargo - Containers - Pallet Delivery - Letter Delivery - Parcel Delivery
UK Business Centre - Finance
Business Finance - Business Insurance - Business Cards - Apprentices - Need Staff - Jobs
Vehicle Finance - Car Insurance - Car Leasing - Commercial Property - Foreign Exchange
Utility Swop - Utility Gas - Utility Electricity - Utility Oil - Utility Solar Power
Rail Finance - Business Leasing - Crowd Funding - Currency Transfer
Insurance - Utilities - Savings - Credit Cards - Car Insurances - Car Finance - Pensions
Quick Guide to World Travel & Tourism
Hotels - Hostels - Flights - Car Rental - Flight + Hotel - River Cruises - Cruises
B&B - Holiday Homes - Apartment Rentals - Chalet Rental
Summer Holidays - Holiday Deals - Beach Holidays - Short Trips - Package Holidays
Summer Vacations - Vacation Deals - Beach Vacations - Weekend Breaks - Package Vacations
Winter Holidays - Winter Holiday Deals - Ski Holidays - Ski Lift Passes - Short Breaks
Winter Vacations - Winter Vacation Deals - Ski Vacations - Ski Pass - Weekend Trips